Below you can find answers to our most Frequently Asked Questions. Click the questions for the answer.

Will the telephone enquiry be directed to a call centre?

NO – your call will be received by our receptionist in our office, who will take your enquiry.

How will I obtain a quote for works?

By emailing us at or by giving us a call with your enquiry

Do you charge for a quote?

No – all of our quotes that we provide are free of charge

What kind of information is required at my initial enquiry?

Any information with a breakdown of the works – drawings, work schedules, contracts, etc. These will help us in providing your quotation.

We would like to have an extension carried out to our property; will you do the architectural drawings?

Planning permission will be required for dwelling extensions. We will design and build for you. We can only provide a certain level of architectural drawings in house. Full Architectural drawings will have to be carried out by qualified architects. We will be able to forward the details of our out of house Architects.

Will you carry out gentle refurbishment works to our offices, such as carpets, doors, etc?

YES – we carry out all of these services for our across-the-board client base and these include offices, pubs and domestic households.

Do you do annual boiler services?

YES – we do carry out boiler service and Landlord gas safety certificates on boilers we have installed.

What is the difference between a boiler service and gas safety test?

A boiler service consists of a full check which will require the boiler to be taken apart. The engineer will assess the physical condition of the appliance, installation of pipework, air vents and any flues for deterioration. They will carry out performance tests and take any necessary remedial actions.

A Gas safety check is carried out by a gas safe registered engineer inspecting your gas appliances this will include testing the operating pressure, testing to see whether harmful gases are being removed safely from the boiler to the outside air, that the vents are clear and that all of the safety functions are working correctly. If the appliances pass a gas certificate is issued, if you are a landlord this has to be carried out as it is the law.

It is common and advisable that the boiler service and gas safety test be carried out together.

Are you insured?

YES – Yes, we are insured to carry out both building and heating/plumbing works. The full information is available on request

Contact us so we can arrange a site visit: Call us on 020 8545 2000 or email us at